Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Sunne in Splendour

This book was a MASTERPIECE!! I absolutely fell in love with Sharon Kay Penman's Richard III. This is the story of the last of the Plantagenets and the rise of the Tudors in 15th century England. This is a massive novel, but so worth the time it takes to read.

The book starts with a young Richard III and his brothers cavorting around a forest. The story follows the trouble of Edward IV and his journey to the throne, all the while being helped by his brother Richard. It's about the culmination of the War of the Roses (Lancaster and York), the rise and fall of Richard, the start of the Tudor dynasty. A bear of a book, but so emotionally involved that I had to take a couple of days off of reading when I had finished. I love when a book will make me cry, and Penman's writing ability is amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment